on Friday, August 10, 2012
A lot of patients don’t realize it, but the human eye is an amazing organ that allows us to live our lives everyday. Here are some interesting and fun facts about the eyes that you may not have known:
- More than half of all people in the United States use some type of lens to correct their vision. Are you one of them? Make sure to ask your eye doctor about contact lenses as an option. You can take this survey to find out which of our contact lenses are right for you and get the conversation started.
- Your eyes keep growing after birth which is why refractive changes can occur during childhood and require corrective lenses such as contact lenses. This is why it is important for everyone to get regular eye exams because everyone’s eyes change over time.
- All types of eye drops sting less if you store them in the refrigerator.
- When you blink, you shut your eyes for 0.3 seconds. That’s a total of 30 minutes each day. However, when people stare at computer screens for too long, they may blink less. Blinking less can lead to eye strain, fatigue and dry eye. Make sure to talk to an eye doctor about ways to make sure you can avoid computer vision.
- The retina is about the size of a postage stamp. It has 130 million light sensitive cells.
Did you know any of these fun eye facts? Let us know.