on Monday, May 21, 2012
Working out at the gym with eyeglasses can be challenging. As we wrote in a previous post, eyeglasses can fog up, fall off the face, or even break during strenuous physical activities. For active patients, contact lenses may be more convenient. Contact lenses allows for a wider field of peripheral vision and more options with protective eyewear. It allows patients to participate freely in more intense sports such as football, squash and soccer.
However, with intense sports, patients may possibly have to deal with comfort issues. Here are some tips that will help patients work up a sweat comfortably and safely:
- Wash your hands before handling contact lenses
- Don’t expose contact lenses to any water
- Never let soaps, cosmetics, or any other substances come into contact with your contact lenses
- Daily disposable contact lenses like CooperVision’s Proclear 1 Day lenses are convenient because there is no need to pack contact lens solution or worry about contact lens maintenance. After the day is over, patients can throw away the lenses and use fresh lenses the next day. This eliminates concerns over protein deposits or buildup.
- While wearing daily disposable contact lenses is ideal for gym goers, if you don’t wear daily disposables, make sure to pack a contact lens case, contact lens solution, and back up eyeglasses in your gym bag.
Working out with contact lenses can be convenient if patients are prepared. For more information about contact lenses, contact an eye care practitioner near you using CooperVision’s Find A Practitioner tool.